Wednesday, December 22, 2010

MERRY CHRISTMAS


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE. In honor of the holiday, I offer a preview of a series I had hoped to post this calendar year that will have to wait for next. All of the biographical material, context, and many more images will come in the new year. Here is the great Warren Chappell's rendition of the perennial holiday classic The Nutcracker.










For those of you who have never read the original E. T. A. Hoffmann story, may I recommend the legendary translator Ralph Manheim's translation illustrated by the legendary children's book luminary Maurice Sendak.


And as a holiday bonus, I refer you back to my Christmas in June post, Ilonka Karasz's The Twelve Days of Christmas and the Karasz illustrated Phyllis McGinley's Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.



Happy New Year. Enjoy it in good health.

All images are copyrighted © and owned by their respective holders.

2 comments: